Books About Death for Children

No one likes to think about death, but when tragedy strikes a family, it's so helpful to have a list of good books on hand.  In Our Pond

We recently experienced a death in our family.  In an effort to walk with our children through their grief, I've been compiling a list of books that deal with death, loss, and heaven.  I hope this list is valuable and conforting to anyone who reads it.



The Voyage to the Star Kingdom
This book was written to help a real child deal with the real loss of her two sisters.  It's an allegory about terminal illness, death, heaven, and family reunions.  I haven't read it, but it's on my list.  I particularly want to keep this one in mind for families who are grieving children.



God Gave Us Heaven
From the author who brought us cute, conversational books like "God Gave us Christmas" and "God Gave Us You."  This theologically light and gentle book focuses on the practical questions children have about heaven, reassuring them over and over that "heaven will be full of everything good."  It's a bit long for preschoolers, but is a good introduction to heaven for kindergartners.  My kids enjoy this cute book.



Tear Soup
This book can be taken at multiple levels and would be suitable for ages 5 and up.  The grandma suffers a loss and mixes herself up a pot of tear soup.  Through the story, the reader is walked through the stages of grief and given permission to grieve their own special way.  This book is very popular with therapists, and would be good for multiple types of loss (death, disappointments, adoption, etc).  I keep it in my mind often for myself and others.



Heaven for Kids
I love Randy Alcorn's books, but I haven't read this one yet.  He's a pastor, a theologian, and a grandpa, so I trust that his book will be Gospel-centered and gentle on children.



Lifetimes
This is a secular book about how everything that lives has a lifetime.  Things begin and they end.  I haven't read this book either, but I wanted to include it on the list for those who may be looking for a non-religious book about death.



What's Heaven?
This book was recommended to me by another mom.  I haven't read it yet.  It is another question and answers book, using subjects that the authors real children, grandchildren, and nieces/nephews have asked her.



There's a Party in Heaven
This was also recommended to me by another mom.  I haven't read it yet.



The Jesus Storybook Bible- A Dream of Heaven
My kids read this storybook Bible with their dad almost every night.  I don't know how many times they've gone through the whole book.  At the very end is a wonderful summery of Revelation, told in kid-friendly language.  We own this book in multiple formats, and I recommend it to everyone who is looking for a Bible storybook.



Pin for Later!
No one likes to think about death, but when tragedy strikes a family, it's so helpful to have a list of good books on hand.  In Our Pond


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foster-to-Adopt Party Theme Ideas

Fabulous Ideas for a Family Home Theater

100 Indoor Heavy Work Activities to Burn Energy